If you are considering pet adoption at the Winchester SPCA, we recommend some preliminary steps:
- Discuss adopting a pet with all members of your family.
- Think about the financial requirements of properly caring for an animal — this includes vet care, food & supplies.
- If you are a tenant, obtain your landlord’s permission to bring an animal home.
- Do some research — gather information about different companion animals to determine the best match for your family.
- Make sure you understand the laws and requirements of pet ownership where you live.
- Take your time getting to know your potential new best friend. Our staff will introduce you to any pet available for adoption.
- Once you have found your match and decide to adopt, a member of our team will happily provide information on the history and needs of the animal.
- Complete and submit an adoption application. Provide driver’s license or state-issued identification and landlord information if you rent your home.
- Once your application is approved, read & sign the adoption contract. Our staff will explain spay/neuter and follow-up veterinarian requirements to you.
- Pay your adoption fee. Our adoption fees vary based on promotions and sponsorships.
- Take your new pet home!
- Spay/Neuter surgery voucher if needed
- Initial vaccine records
- Records of all de-worming & flea treatments given while in the shelter
- Post-Adoption health exam at a participating veterinarian
- Travel box for cat & kitten adoptions
- Slip-leash for dog & puppy adoptions
Use the buttons below to go to our Petfinder and Petango pages. Or use the tabs to search directly from this page.